We’re building a diverse, high-performing, happy and collaborative team
We believe that diverse teams build better companies and better products. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities.
As a key member of Relay, you will help establish a next-generation reinsurance workflow solution in the Property & Casualty (P&C) market, with a huge emphasis on creating an incredible user experience. With our small but rapidly growing engineering organization, you will be a key contributor to technical and product decisions. You will work directly and closely with Relay's cross-disciplinary InsurTech team, consisting of the CEO, Product & Engineering team, Product Consultants and Product users. You will also have opportunities to tutor and coach junior engineers within the development team as it grows.
We are looking for a Software Developer (Full-Stack) with a passion and entrepreneurial spirit for contributing to a solution that will revolutionize the way things are done in a huge, established market.
Your core responsibilities will be to:
- Create an extraordinary experience by developing a world-class product addressing key pain points in a large market;
- Design and develop a React-based application, delivering a streamlined, elegant front-end experience;
- Develop a responsive interface for various browsers and devices;
- Develop on a Ruby on Rails backend application;
- Design within technical constraints while being aware and mindful of business objectives, helping prioritize requirements;
- This is a highly entrepreneurial opportunity and you will be part of the first wave of collaborators, with the ability to shape both the business and your role as you go forward and build credibility and trust with our team and partners.
This is a highly entrepreneurial opportunity and you will be part of the first wave of collaborators, with the ability to shape both the business and your role as you go forward and build credibility and trust with our team and partners.
You're perfect for this role if you:
- Are looking to build something from the ground up with the potential to disrupt a space with cool technologies, with the full backing of an established incubator and proven entrepreneurs;
- Have a strong interest in leveraging the latest tech and frameworks, and generally turning innovation into real-world products;
- Follow a method to drive the product forward, and have the discipline to implement it day-in day-out;
- Are results-driven with a strong ownership mentality and drive to deliver on schedule and problem-solve independently in a dynamic, fast-paced environment;
- Have experience working at startups or on highly innovative projects at larger corporations; and/or have previous exposure to the reinsurance/insurance markets.
- Are a team player who openly shares information, helps others, and is open to new ideas and “going the extra mile” when needed.
Your track record should include:
- Exceptional programming skills and grasp of software engineering principles with 2 or more years developing front end applications;
- Demonstrated success developing projects end-to-end;
- Any development experience in the following fields would constitute a plus: process automation, open APIs, marketplaces, enterprise software, mobile applications;
- A drive to get better every day, demonstrated by evident career progression and explorations;
- Experience with agile and lean philosophies - you’ve delivered user-facing online applications in an agile design environment;
- Experience working with a small team towards aggressive product development milestones, with a strong appreciation of business needs;
- A Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science or related field is nice to have.